Friday, October 26, 2007

Volume 2

Volume 2: I'll take this 800 pound bag of Kimchi, please.

This weekend’s adventure started with a trip (solo!) to Itaewon, to pick up the suit that I had hand-tailored. Yeah, that’s how I roll. Since I had two Korean weddings to attend in the near future, I wanted to look good, and not show up in the dress clothes that I have worn to work every day for the last four months. And since the tailor wants me to “be his mouth” I feel I should tell everyone:

***If you’re ever in Korea and need a suit tailored, go to Mercury Tailors in Itaewon***

And the suit looks shockingly good, too. Even better than I had hope, and I had pretty high expectations, since it cost several… hundred… thousand… won. Ah, well, you only live once. And I wanted to fit in with al the Korean men in their shiny suits (note: my suit is not silver or shiny. Nor will I ever EVER fit in amongst Koreans).

Anyhoo, the real Bree Teach and J-Bar adventure started a few hours later… With more shopping. We went to all our favorite places to shop: Jonggak for DVDs (where we’re becoming regulars – EVEN THOUGH he doesn’t carry Flicka). Next we went to Dongdaemun Market, because I still don’t have a bag to carry all my junk around, and I was quite sure that there was one I liked when I came my first month (sans money). Alas, when we got to the market, there was no such bag. Much to Bree’s chagrin, since I keep complaining about it. I did, however, find a belt. I was so worried about being able to find one that was big enough (damn these Koreans and their tiny waists), that when I found one that looked big enough I bought it right away. I discovered later what I never would have thought, it’s about 8 inches too big!

The next day, we continued our shopping (with special guest Naomi Teacher) at the COSTCO! Ah, a taste of home. After we botched about 18 applications, mostly by trying to write things in Korean, we got our official Korean Costco membership cards, and started shopping. Costco in Korea is shockingly similar to Costco at home (they even have Kirkland brand!), only, as would be expected, several shades weirder. As is to beckon us to the strange sights, or perhaps to say "This way to bargains!" we saw this fellow on the way. He moved. He's some sort of hand-less traffic robot.


A few more Costco delights:

-Soju in convenient drinkin’ boxes, which we agreed could be interesting, if we took them to the kids at school

-Fish sold, um… By the yard? I don’t know what’s going on here.

-Take special note of the price tags here. Costco Korea is one classy operation.

-And this little number.


Whilst we were checking out, this old Korean man FLIPPED OUT on the Costco staff, screaming and swearing at them. It was really frightening. Then we tried to pay with card, but they only take cash, but since it was the three of us and we each got a lot of stuff, we stood there for like 45 minutes counting out 10000 won bills, since they inexplicably get no larger—

After shopping, Bree Teacher and I went for a dinner that illustrates exactly how awesome I am at Korea. We went for “duck on a leaf” (I don’t even know the name for this one--) near her house. We went through two different waiters trying to order, but eventually got what we wanted (maybe). Whilst we were eating, I had one of the choking attacks I’ve been prone to since the weather’s been changing. This one was so intense that I coughed my contact lens right out. When I went to put it back in, I left (unbeknownst to me) my (metal!!) chopsticks sitting in the fire that was cooking our duck. I came back and lifted the sticks of fire toward my mouth. AND BURNED MY FACE. My lips, top and bottom, both had the hugest blisters I’ve ever seen. It hurt to eat for the rest of the week.

Not that I let it stop me--

No comments: