Thursday, August 16, 2007

Some local flavor

June 24th

When I finally wake up from an entire day of sleeping, I try to find the motel lady, to find out the address of the motel, so I can get my bags delivered. After trying to explain to her my needs, she just calls her son, who speaks English. After a few minutes he manages to tell me 99-1, and then tries to spell the name of the place. He gets as far as T-O-P-S-H-I-T-L-I-R (before he gives up, and says he’ll just come over. And this whole conversation took about 10 minutes, to get those 10 letters out of him). So he brings me the address, which, it turns out, is Dapsimni. That’s sort of close. Anyhoo, once the lady helps me figure out the phone, I call the Korean Air people, and they tell me that they’ll bring my bags the next day. That was relatively painless! Finally something that went right!

Next I called Alaina, with the number I had gotten from my [approximately] 30 second chat with Mom and Dad. My first try, I ran out of coins, but upon attempt number two, she tells me to meet her and BBro at Dondaemun Stadium Station – take a taxi there, and then I can get a card for the Subway. I head out onto the street to try and find a taxi. They all seem to be on one side of the street, so I go to the corner, and go across to that side. The sidewalk seem to be gated along here, for some reason, so its hard to get a taxi somewhere other than the intersection. By the time I get across the street, the light had changed or something, because all the taxis are gone from here, and are at a different corner. Several attempts later, I stop fooling around and just step into the middle of the street to get a cab. “Dongdaemun Stadium Station,” I say. “Dongdaemun Station?,” he replies. Awesome! He understands English! …Or so I thought. He drops me at Dongdaemun Station, which, of course, is not Dongdaemun Stadium Station. I didn’t realize this, though, until I went down the stairs and back up every exit at the station. And there are a lot. Then I saw some roadsigns that said Dongdaemun Stadium, and followed them, assuming the Station would be at least close. It’s not, particularly. It took a good half hour of walking around the stadium to find it. But I did!

It turns out that Dongdaemun Stadium Station is rather…epic. But somehow BBro and Alaina manage to find me. So we go to McDonalds for lunch. You know… For some of the local flavor. I did actually have a Bulgogi Burger, whatever that is. It was pretty alright. Getting home, though, was an ordeal. BBro and I tried to walk home from… Wherever we ended up, because I thought that with my VAST experience of the city, I’d be able to find a tiny motel in a city of 12 million people. Needless to say, we didn’t. We walked for several hours, stopping in stores every few blocks to ask for directions, and even getting help from randoms on the street. Eventually we called BBro’s director, and she told us to get a cab to Dapsimni Sageory (the junction closest to the motel). And what do you know, about half a block away, there it is!

No comments: